Thursday, February 2, 2012

"Welcome Friends! Please No Solicitors" Chalkboard Door Sign

Every day this week has been one of "those" days & yesterday was no different.  I was in the middle of laundry.  Half-done with a sink load of dishes.  Working on 3 organizational project simultaneously.  Had just taken a 25 second bathroom break (stay-at-home-parents - you understand ;) ) & left my son downstairs for 45 seconds watching something on Netflix.  Had to get paperwork together for our audit (grrr) in two days & bake bread.  And there's a knock at the door.  It sounded like my next door neighbors knock so I didn't think anything of it.  Looked outside.  Nope.  *Sigh*  Random woman I don't know.  Fabulous.  Our 15 lb miniature schnauzer is already barking her little head off (she's quite the little guard dog ;) ) so I scoop her up in my arms & answer the door.  It's a salesperson.  *Sigh*  I listed to her sales pitch (with our dog squirming & yipping in my arms & licking my face) & politely tell her that I'm busy this week & she politely leaves.  I warn my local Facebook friends that there's a door-to-door salesperson going around.  I get that people are just trying to make a living, hence my polite response (I could have just slammed the door in her face mid-pitch), but seriously... I find door-to-door sales so rude!  Yeah.  Cause I have nothing better to do than drop what I'm doing (usually 5 things at once) & invite a stranger into my house (!!!) & spend money on something I don't need.  

Anyway, I decided I needed a "No Solicitors" sign, but something cute & friendly, not one of those black, white & red plastic "NO SOLICITORS" signs you can buy from the hardware store.  ;)  

This is a scrap piece of wood that I was going to use as a bill & paperwork organizer on the side of our cabinet, but upon more thought, I decided I need a bigger piece for the organizer & decided to use it as my sign instead.  

What you'll need:
  • a scrap piece of wood
  • small paint brush
  • chalkboard paint, a can opener, & a paint stick
  • 2 eye hooks
  • a length of ribbon, twine, thin rope, etc
  • sandpaper
  • chalk (a variety of colors make the prettiest sign)
  • over-the-door "wreath" holder or something to hang the sign on
1.)  Lightly sand the surface & edges of your scrap piece of wood.  The smoother your surface is, the more like a real chalkboard it will be after it's painted.  

2.)  Use paint can opener to pry lid off.  STIR WELL!

3.)  Paint the surface & edges of you piece of scrap wood using long, even strokes - try not to "over-work" the paint (as per the instructions on the paint can).
4.) After paint dries, attach eye hooks & twine/ribbon/thin rope/etc.
5.) Decorate your sign.  
6.)  Hang & enjoy!  :)

Because it's a chalkboard, you can change your sign as often or as infrequently as you desire!  :)

I'd love your feedback!  Please follow my blog & LMK what you think in a comment.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment