Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Photograph Magnets Upcycled with Bottle Caps

I've been wanting to make these for a while.  This past week, I finally did!  :)


Want to make your own?  Here's what you'll need...
  • Bottle caps (you may need to start saving a few weeks ahead of time unless you go through a lot of beer quickly or you can have friends save them for you)
  • Round magnets (mine were about $6 for a large pack from a craft store & I used 3 packs)
  • Dimensional Modge Podge* (about $5 for 2 oz. - I used 3 packs & made just over 100 magnets)
  • A 1" circle craft punch
  • Craft glue (I switched to Weldbond to glue the magnets to the bottle caps & the photos to the bottle caps - be sure to read label)
  • Small photos - my black & white ones (pictured) I clipped from left-over Christmas cards from the past two years (Snapfish makes you buy them in packs of 20 so I buy 3-4 packs & end up with at least 10 leftovers - so happy I have a use for them now!  I plan on using the rest of the Christmas cards to make sets of magnets for the family over the holidays.)
  • [If you have a basic knowledge of photoshop, you can put together prints with 1" photos to maximize paper efficiency.  I did some color ones like this & also just using photo paper & our home printer & Microsoft Word.  I duplicated the photos I wanted to crop using iPhoto, cropped the photos to square using iPhoto, & dragged & dropped them into a word document, changing the size of the photos to 1" & when the paper was full, I used photo paper & my home printer & had an entire sheet of photographs.]
  • Scissors
  • Cookie sheet (optional)


*I know DIY Modge Podge has been gaining in popularity, however I've read accounts of people's projects yellowing & flaking after time so I just buy it.  I haven't been getting much at Michael's lately so I use the 40% coupon each week.  If you only have 1 coupon but are making more than 1 trip in a week, you can ask at the register & they'll scan a coupon for you.  :)  


1.) Glue the magnets to the back of the bottle caps.  (Optional - organize on a cookie sheet.  I found this to be wildly helpful.)

2.) Using scissors & a 1" circle craft punch, cut out your photographs.

3.) Glue photographs to inside of bottle caps.  Let dry.


4.)  Add Dimensional Modge Podge to inside of bottle caps.  Let dry.  (It was humid when I did mine & it took over 24 hours to dry fully.)


5.)  Arrange & enjoy! 



I used one B&W set to start a frame around my magnetic organizer in my bedroom.  It's such a treat to have so many favorite pictures on display!  A great passion of mine is photographing my children but I have SO many shots & SO many favorites that if I were to try to display them all in prints at once, my walls would look quite cluttered & I despise clutter, so this is perfect for me.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment