Wednesday, March 21, 2012

New Life for an Old Chalkboard

I'll be honest. I've had this old chalkboard for years. If I had to guess, I'd say I picked it up at the "still good" shed at the dump at least 6 years ago. Since then, it's been propped up against the wall in my kids toy nook (since we moved into the house almost 5 years ago) & occasionally when they used it, it would fall on the floor but I didn't want to mount it to the wall until it was given new life.  So it's long overdue for a facelift. ;)



What you need:

  • An old chalkboard
  • Chalkboard paint
  • Paint in a color of your choosing for the frame
  • 1" paint brush
  • Old newspaper
  • 4 screws
  • Drill with drill bit
  • Screw driver





1.) Wipe down the chalkboard with water & wait to dry




2.) Place newspaper under the frame.
3.) Paint the chalkboard with chalkboard paint, 2 coats, waiting in between each coat for the paint to dry.
4.) Paint the frame with your chosen color, 2 coats, waiting in between each coat for the paint to dry.




5.) Using your drill & drill bit, drill 4 holes in the frame to mount the chalkboard to the wall.
6.) Using your screwdriver, screw the screws through the frame & into the wall. (I prefer using a hand-held screwdriver over a drill to screw screws in when I'm doing certain projects, so I'm more certain not to strip the screws).




This is now a well-used facet of my kids' toy nook.

Enjoy!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment